Thursday, September 28, 2006

How it came to be that my dad is a hero. A not funny story.

My mum and dad go camping a fair bit. They always have. I have been all over the country on walking holidays. When i became a teenager i hated it of course bu i came back to the wild desolation of the hills my father walked before me. Cool.


When I was doing my PhD I was plane old mister scum, and my mam and dad went camping at clumber park. Some months before, getting on a year or so i think, there had been the most appalling sexual assault on a young girl in the toilets at the camp site. The poor girl nearly bled to death I was told. Anyway, for months after that, all the women and kids in the neighbourhood were chaperoned by male relatives and work mates. (we'll come back to this bit). It was similar when i was a kid and the ripper was busy.

After some months the cops nicked some lorry driver for it who was remanded in custody and i understand he had a very nasty time of it in chokey. And you may think this is no bad thing eh?

About a yearish after the original attack, my mam and dad were on holiday. They went to take the dogs for a walk one evening and there were people running about on the campsite shouting a male name. It turned out a young boy of nineish had gone missing. My mum and dad joined in the search. They walked offdown a road in the park and found a car that had driven off the road and there was a young bloke in it revving it trying to make it go some. They stopped to see what was going on and the young bloke was clearly in shock. My dad looked under the car and saw that the car had gone over a substatial fence post that had ripped out the drive shaft (or something fatal for the car anyway). My old man told the bloke to come back to the campsite and get sorted out, and he agreed. He got out the car and my parents saw he was wearing dungarees, open to the waist and with blood on them. They assumed he was bleeding but they couldn't seewhere from.

As my mam and dad were talking to this chap, the dogs went off in the trees and started barking at something. Good dogs. My mum went to investigate and found a young boy hiding in the undergrowth. He was obviously terrified and not in a good way. She picked him up in her arms and carried him back to the road.

They set off back to the campsite and my dad made the bloke walk in front of them so he could keep an eye on him. Mam carried the distraught boy and talked to him, finding out that the guy had kidnapped him and while trying to get away the boy had caused the car to crash. Brave. My mam put it all together and was flaring up, but my dad kept everything calm enough till they got back to the camp and could get the police in.

When the got back it took four blokes to keep the father off the bastard who raped his son.

Eventually, the lorry driver was released.

The young bloke went away for ever.


Turns out he had been working at a hotel / restaurant nearby and was one of the designated chaperones during the months after the first attack.

8 Comments:

Blogger Name Witheld said...

Your dad is a hero : he did remarkably well to keep things calm. Few blokes could've done that.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

Jesus that's quite spine chilling.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Doktor Skum said...

Horrible story isn't it? Especially if you have kids. Of course, at the time of the second attack, the parents thought everything was OK cos the cops had got their man. So kids were out playing on their own.

For a long time afterwards my dad felt really guilty, because he didn't let the boys dad have ten minutes with the attacker. Also he wished he had had a bit of a punch fest on him too.

To my mind though he showed a level of cool headedness and restraint that is admirable. Avoiding a lynch mob situation. Eleven out of ten.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Doktor Skum said...

Horrible story isn't it? Especially if you have kids. Of course, at the time of the second attack, the parents thought everything was OK cos the cops had got their man. So kids were out playing on their own.

For a long time afterwards my dad felt really guilty, because he didn't let the boys dad have ten minutes with the attacker. Also he wished he had had a bit of a punch fest on him too.

To my mind though he showed a level of cool headedness and restraint that is admirable. Avoiding a lynch mob situation. Eleven out of ten.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I bet you're very very proud of your Dad. And I daresay you're a better bloke for having a good father!

Curiously enough you have the knack of telling the world that you are perfectly obnoxious yet no-one believes a word of it! You are pussycat reaally aren't you?

By the way I note that David Citizen also lists one of his interests as Mrs Scum's sister's bottom... Is this a growing thing?

One does like to stay abreast of new trends especially if they are about to turn into mass crazes...

So perhaps you could let us know if there is any further attention to this area.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

We need more people like your Mum and Dad - public spirited indiviudals who know right from wrong and how to act when they see crimes being perpetrated.

Good for them

7:08 AM  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Skummy, you have absolutely first class parents. You must be so proud of them. A dreadful event but one that shows your parents to be extraordinary people. I just hope that the little boy has made a good recovery, if that is possible.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Doktor Skum said...

to be fair, my dad did have to keep my mum under control. She was all for hitting him. She did make vocal her opinion. Imagine a slightly deranged hyacinth bucket type turning the air blue whilst carrying the wee boy. And my dad trying to get her to shut up cos if the bloke took to his heels my old man wouldn't be able to catch the bugger. (no cartlidge in his knees)

In these times of media hyped lynch mob attitudes i think my dad is a fine example of how to behave.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home