Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Does anyone know anything about work law?

I am a post doctoral research fellow at a university. All the work is short term contracts. In recent years the law changed so that if you had four years continual service then the uni had to give you a permanent contract. This entitled you to things like redundancy pay. I have been at the uni for ten years. However, I have been given a months break between my last two contracts which were both two years long. Thus, I have only ever been on temporary contracts and the uni is not obliged to pay redundany.

My two breaks were in 2002 and again in 2004. However, on both occasions I was expected to work and did so. In effect i worked for free for two months. On the first occasion in 2002, I had told my boss i was going to take two weeks off (as i had had no holiday in two years) and i think he held the contract back until I was back because he didn't want to pay me for no work.

Do I have a case to taKE TO TRIBUNAL? i KNOW OF THREE OTHER LONG STANDING RESEARCH FELLOWS WHO HAVE NOT HAD these breaks inserted. One is about to get twenty odd grand as he is made redundant.

6 Comments:

Blogger Doktor Skum said...

N.B. naturally enough, I stand to get fuck all redundancy.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Doktor Skum said...

N.B. It is the same boss who phoned me up at easter to call me a selfish bastard for taking a day off. After i have worked two mens jobs since october. That means i have been working a 60 hour week with no overtime just to get him out of the shite on a project that someone else walked out on.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

I know sod all about employement law but I do know that solicitors are expensive. Therefore, if I were in your position I would start with the Citizens Advice Bureau.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This might help as a starter:

http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/Templates/internal.asp?NodeID=68395

11:30 AM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I can't say I know much about it. Sorry.

On the bright side, there's a chap over here thinks he's seen your big cat though...

3:06 AM  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

When are you going to post something else?

Or come over to my MB?

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home